Road Trip Essentials and Auto Insurance
Summer is here. Your schedule is open. And so is the road! With its warm temperatures and long daylight hours, summer is the perfect time to take that ultimate road trip you’ve been planning. However, nothing can ruin your plans as quickly as car troubles. While some auto insurance policies cover roadside assistance, it is still important to ensure that your vehicles is in top shape before putting it through those long drives. Here are a few tips to remember when you’re planning to be on the road longer than 2 hours:
- Check in with your mechanic. Your repair shop should be looking and listening for any warning lights, unusual noises, and unwanted leaky/creaky/shaky parts.
- Take care of any maintenance. Fixing your car BEFORE you hit the road will help prevent the need for calling roadside assistance. Have your mechanic change the oil and filter, rotate tires, check the AC, and give your car a good overall tune up.
- Talk about your plans. Letting your mechanic know about your road trip is a good way to ensure the shop takes extra notice of even the small details. It can do no harm to pay a little more attention to your brakes, hoses, belts, steering, and suspension.
- Be a know-it-all. Even if your vehicle does not need mechanic-required maintenance, there are plenty of DIY checks that you can perform to ensure the security of your car and the safety of all of those riding in it: all fluids, battery, tire tread and air pressure, all vehicle lights, wipers, and all other vehicle safety features.
- Pack wisely. Aside from your swimsuit and sunscreen, it is important to have a few extra items on hand in case of an emergency. Extra coolant, a few quarts of oil, towels/rags, drinking water, duck tape, and a flashlight all could come in handy at various times. Also be sure to have either a GPS or charged Smartphone available.
Last but not least.…be sure to check in with your local insurance agent. Your auto insurance policy may be able to help out if you’re in a bind!
Call Insurance Town & Country today and speak with one of our insurance professionals. We can review your auto insurance policy before you hit the road and help to give you a traveler’s peace of mind. We have offices in Denver (303–388-7216) and Castle Rock (303–688-1251). Call us today to schedule your consultation!