Stay Afloat with Flood Insurance

There has been some misinformation about who can qualify for flood insurance circulating and we would like to correct these rumors.  Anyone can get flood insurance.  It does not matter if you are inside or outside of the “flood plain.”  However, the cost of your insurance policy will be affected by your susceptibility to flooding.  So, if you are in the flood plain, you can expect your policy to cost more than if you lived outside of the flood plain.  There are two types of flood insurance coverage, “Building Property” and “Personal Property.”  We have listed the differences below.

Building Property flood insurance coverage can be purchased to cover up to $250,000 in damage and insures the physical structure of your home or other buildings.  This policy covers repairs and replacements to:

  • The building and its foundation
  • Electrical and Plumbing Systems
  • Refrigerators, stoves, and built-in appliances
  • Permanently installed paneling, wallboard, cabinets, and bookcases
  • Permanently installed carpeting over an unfinished floor
  • Central air conditioning equipment, furnaces, and water heaters
  • Debris removal

The second type of flood insurance coverage is “Personal Property” coverage.  This kind of policy covers the cost of damage to belongings that are not related to the structure of your home or other building up to $100,000.  Items that fall into this category include:

  • Personal belongings such as clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment
  • Washers and dryers
  • Curtains
  • Portable window air conditioners
  • Portable microwave ovens
  • Carpets not included under building coverage

There are some items and costs not included in either of these flood insurance coverage types. These consist of:

  • Property and belongings outside of a building such as trees, plants, wells, walks, decks, etc.
  • Most self-propelled vehicles such as cars, boats, RVs, and 4‑wheelers
  • Currency, precious metals, and valuable papers
  • Living expenses such as temporary housing or food

If you are concerned about your home or possessions being damaged or destroyed by flooding, please contact us so that we can discuss your needs and get you a quality flood insurance policy that makes sense for your situation.

Denver Office                                                             Castle Rock Office
1735 E. 17th Ave. #3                                                    513 Wilcox St. #200
Denver, CO 80218                                                      Castle Rock, CO 80104
303–388-7216                                                 Phone: 303–688-1251
Email:                        Email: